Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Healthy Banana Oat Bread with Blueberries

I got lost in the mall today for about 20 minutes. I genuinely couldn't remember where I had come in. I've heard it called baby brain, and I definitely have it. I decided to run into New York & Company because I had a coupon. Many of my shopping trips begin with that phrase: "Because I had a coupon." Anyhow, they had this huge sale, and I have a shortage of summer clothes that fit, because I still have 20 lbs. of baby weight, so they suckered me in. I'm walking out of the store, headed towards where I think I parked the car, when I realize that I'm walking in the wrong direction. I don't recognize any of the stores around me. It took going out two entrances to figure out where I had come in. Then I had to use the clicky locks on my car to figure out where I parked. (Don't pretend you've never done this. . .I can't remember what I did before they had clicky locks.)

On a different note, I love trying healthy recipes and then making them healthier or tastier. I found this one online and then made about 14 changes to it. This bread is mostly whole grain, with protein, fiber, and Omega-3s from the flax and wheat germ. It is also relatively low in sugar. The almonds add more protein, and cinnamon is good for your heart.

I also like recipes where the proteins and carbohydrates are balanced. I have trouble with hypoglycemia, and snacks such as this one help me keep my blood sugar stable. All the fiber helps me feel full, too. Healthy Banana Oat Bread with Blueberries

Ingredients:
¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup wheat germ
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
¼ cup milled flax
¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (plus more for sprinkling on top)
3 tsps baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs beaten
2+ cups mashed bananas (about 7 medium, very ripe)
1 cup of Splenda
½ cup white or brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil (or applesauce)
¼ to ½ cup sliced almonds (I actually crush these first, so I can’t taste them)
1 cup (or more) of frozen blueberries (you can also use chocolate chips)

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Grease 2 medium bread pans.

  3. Combine the flour, wheat germ, oats, flax, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon in a big bowl.

  4. Use a mixer to combine the bananas, sugar, eggs, oil, and almonds.

  5. Dump the wet batter into the dry.

  6. Stir it until it is just moistened. Make sure you don’t mix too much!

  7. Add the blueberries and stir just enough to distribute them. The key is not to stir too much!

  8. Pour the batter into the bread pans. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top.

  9. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

  10. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then take out of the pan and cool another 10 minutes.

  11. Slice and store however you’d like. I freeze one loaf and have ready-to-go breakfasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment