Friday, July 16, 2010

The Shopping Cart Blues and Tuscan Bean Soup




































I had to post this picture because I love the way he's slouched down in the shopping cart with his feet up and his tongue out. Daddy taught him to make noises with his tongue, and he does, frequently. Even in the shopping cart. Both of these pictures made me laugh, actually. Poor guy has the shopping cart blues.


















"Come on, Mommy, aren't you done already?" We've been here forever and you didn't even buy anything good. Just cans of stuff and leaves. What is kale, anyway? And when do I get to play outside?"

Well, the kale was for a recipe I wanted to try. I usually don't go for meatless recipes, and neither Greg nor I generally like kale, but I figured I'd try this one because we like bean soups. It turned out to be pretty good, and I will definitely be making it again. Apparently, kale is just fine in soups.


















Tuscan Bean Soup

Originally from “Living the GI Diet,” by Rick Gallop, but I made some changes.


Ingredients

-2T extra virgin olive oil
-5 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 1/2 large Vidalia onions, chopped
-3 carrots, chopped
-2 stalks of celery, chopped
-6 fresh sage leaves, cut up
-A few fresh thyme leaves
-6 cups of chicken broth, low-fat, reduced sodium
-2 cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
-5 cups of shredded kale
-A sprinkle of garlic powder
-Pinch of salt and pepper

Directions

1. Start heating the oil in a big pot on medium heat, then add the onion and garlic. Chop the carrot, and celery, and add it along with the sage. Cook it for 5-7 minutes.

2. Add everything else. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale starts tasting yummy, for about 20 minutes. I always keep tasting the soup and adding stuff until I like it. Not a bad way to cook.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Served with a piece of whole wheat toast and a spinach salad with croutons, yellow pepper, and tomatoes, I think this dinner was a success. I love having soup for dinner.

3 comments:

  1. Your soup looks so yummy! The lil guy just keeps getting cuter everyday. Im always looking for soups that use Kale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked kale in other ways, but I just don't. Too bad. It is so good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have tons of kale...I will be making this soon. my son always loves bean soup. now I need to get him to ignore the green leaves in the soup.

    ReplyDelete