Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Snowman Pizza for a Snow Day!

I got the call at 5:30 this morning. Snow day! I was so excited that I went back to sleep for another three hours. The snow didn't start for quite awhile, but it is sure snowing now! Nick and Henry have already been outside once, and they'll probably go out again after nap, but I wanted to do something special for lunch. So we made snowman pizza!



































I got the idea from this website, and it turned out really cute. My boys are eating frozen broccoli in this picture, in case you were wondering. Lately, I tend to get in a cooking mood when there is nothing in the house, ingredients-wise. My solution? Improvisation.


















I had no shredded cheese in the house, but there was a buy one/get one sale on string cheese the other day, so I had plenty of that. Nick peeled it into strips and used his scissors to cut it up into tiny pieces. He loves cutting things up.




































I only had half the bread flour I needed, so I had to make the recipe with a white whole wheat/bread flour mix. I also didn't have time to let the dough rise, so I just skipped that part.



































I couldn't find any cornmeal in the pantry, so I just sprinkled some corn muffin mix onto our pans. It worked just fine!


















We were also out of tomato paste, so I thickened some pasta sauce with Parmesan cheese and cut some tomatoes into chunks. The texture wasn't perfect, but it sure looked like a pizza! Henry loved the pizza sauce, and kept trying to eat it cold. That's what he's pointing to here.


















All three of my boys helped me with this pizza.



































We used frozen broccoli for the snowman's eyes. . .

















. . . a tomato slice for his nose, and frozen peas for his mouth. I found some leftover hamburger in the fridge, and we crumbled that up to make our snowman buttons.



































This is what it looked like when we were finished.



































We actually made two big snowman pizzas from the recipe, and had lots of leftovers. It was delicious and very apropos on a snowy day like today.



































Nick ate the head, which was a little morbid but also kind of cute. Henry ate all of his pizza and some of mine. That little guy can eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment