Sunday, December 20, 2009

Is there anything cuter, or messier. . .

than a baby eating spaghetti? I had to pull out the camera today at lunchtime, because Greg made the most delicious whole wheat linguine with a marinara cream sauce, sweet peppers, and garlic. Nick obviously enjoyed it, too, but the whole experience required 30 minutes of floor and highchair cleanup as well as a bath for Nick and a fresh outfit for me. He actually finished a pretty large serving, peppers and all. He even picked through the spaghetti to eat the vegetable chunks first. But boy, was it hard to clean out the sauce from inside his ears. I believe in letting kids eat the same foods as mommy and daddy, even if they are messy. I've spent a lot of time taking care of other people's children, both in daycare centers and as a teacher, and one thing I have decided is that kids live up to the expectations you set for them. Our expectation is that Nick will eat with us. I do not want to prepare separate meals for my kid. I hope that when he gets older and pickier, I can be strong and stick to my guns on this one. So far it has been pretty easy, because I have an easygoing child who loves to eat just about anything. We'll see what happens later on, when he gets older and more stubborn.
Above you can see Nicholas showing the world how much he likes this particular strand of linguine.

I finally knew he was done when he started flinging pieces of pasta at me. Then I knew it was time to start running a bath for my little messy man.

2 comments:

  1. I could not focus on the enormous cuteness, because I was so stuck on the part of your husband making the spaghetti and sauce... Sigh, if only my Hun could make more than a soft boiled egg. (but that he has perfected btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is quite the gourmet cook, actually. :) He tends to pick very complicated, expensive recipes, though. Not that I'm complaining.

    Hey, soft boiled eggs can be pretty good. At least he can manage that. :)

    ReplyDelete