Saturday, December 26, 2009

3 Days of Pampering, Exploring, and Winter Weather. . . Day Two, Part Two

Well, seeing as we are snowed in and cannot go to Delavan today for Christmas #4, (blizzard conditions in Wisconsin)I'm going to finish reminiscing about our trip to downtown Chicago earlier this week. On Tuesday, after our afternoon nap, we went to the Christkindlmarket, which is a Chicago must, or so I've been told. I'd never seen it before, and despite the sleet/freezing rain/flurries, we set out to see what it was all about.

It was very pretty; Daley plaza was set up with booths all around with food, ornaments, winter wear, and hot beverages. Greg and I split one of tastiest hot pretzels I've ever had and a cup of hot apple cider, which felt great in the cold air. We walked around and looked at all of the European tchotchkes. I especially liked the toy store that sold authentic wooden puzzles and games for kids. I was tempted but the prices made me think twice.
My camera has always taken pretty crappy pictures, and this trip was no exception. My sister actually told me over Christmas that there's something wrong with it. I'm not sure, however, if losing the original reciept voids the Nikon warranty. Anyhow, here Greg and I are standing in front of the big Chicago tree in Daley Plaza. It was gorgeous, and the picture doesn't do it justice.
Here I am on Michigan Avenue. you can see one of the Art Institute lions behind me. Isn't it nice that with digital photography, I can crop my rear end out of pictures if it looks too big? Something about puffy winter jackets tend to make everyone look like the stay-puff marshmallow man. But it kept me warm, anyway, and nighttime in the city is beautiful in December.
This is the sleet/freezing rain that fell on us as we walked around. We found a lovely hot tea place called Argo, and I had an Earl Grey Steamer, which was steamed skim milk mixed with Earl Grey tea (my favorite), bergamot, and a shot of vanilla. yummy. Before we went to dinner, I made Greg take a picture of these pigeons. They were hanging around the flame, and I don't blame them. It was cold and wet. I thought it was cute how they stick their heads down in their birdie armpits to keep warm. If that one had gotten any closer to the flame, though, he would've been a roasted pigeon.
After Christkindlmarket, Greg took me for dinner at Trattoria #10, where we had had dessert Monday night. It was so good we were inspired to visit again for dinner Tuesday. I had the best caprese salad ever and a lobster ravioli that was so good I can't even put it into words. Greg had a magnificent lamb dish, and the chocolate cake we had for dessert was absolutely spectacular. My tummy was so happy. It's funny how I may forget the other details of our trip, but I will remember that meal as long as I live.


Why the shoe pictures? Well, there was a Crocs store near our hotel, and I walked in to look at shoes for Nick. I think that Crocs make your feet look like boats, and I would never buy them for myself. The kid ones are cute, though. However, I decided (after looking at the price tags) that it was a waste of money to spend $29.99 on shoes for a little boy who would grow out of them in a month or two. Then I saw these. . . and I had to buy them. They are pretty comfy flats, and they don't look like Crocs. Plus, they were buy one, get one 1/2 off. And my feet should stay the same size, at least I hope so. It was a wonderful trip, and if we can swing it, we want to go again next year. Maybe next year we'll stay on the Gold Coast. Greg says that he knows of some great places around there. A romantic Chicago trip was a great way to start our Christmas week.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen crocs like that before. The little ballet flat one is cute. I do like my boat-shaped ones for gardening though. To clean the mud off of them, you just spray them with the hose. Very convenient. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Your straightened hair is pretty, but I like your wavy hair even better.

    ReplyDelete