Friday, June 24, 2011

Picking Strawberries and Making Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

My strawberry crop is in a little later this year, but we're still getting a pretty good amount. There's nothing like fresh picked strawberries from your own backyard. They are smaller than the ones from the grocery store, but they are sweeter, too, and far more delicious, in my opinion.






































I think I got even more strawberries this year than last, but Nick was a little more helpful this year. Although he did eat more strawberries than he put into the bowl!



We've been picking strawberries every two days or so since I've been out of the hospital, and the crop isn't showing signs of slowing down quite yet. Check out Nick's strawberry hands.



Today, after we picked a few cups of fresh strawberries, Nick and I decided to make some muffins. I recently found a recipe I wanted to tweak, and I haven't gotten to do much baking lately. So I put Henry in the sling, and we all proceeded to make quite the mess of our kitchen.



I started with this recipe, but made lots of changes.

Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins


-1 c. old fashioned oats
-1 c. sour cream
-2 T. ground flaxseed
-2 eggs
-1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
-3/4 c. of brown sugar
-1 c. white whole wheat flour
-1T vital wheat gluten
-1 t. cinnamon (I use Penzey’s Vietnamese Extra Fancy)
-1 ¼ c. fresh strawberries, sliced very small
-3/4 t. baking soda
-1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a muffin tin generously with non-stick spray.




















Mix everything through the brown sugar, then add the dry ingredients. DO NOT over mix. Stir in the strawberries last, then pour batter into each muffin cup (about 2/3 full). I sprinkled some oats on top for decoration. Bake 18-20 minutes, then let cool slightly before taking out of the muffin tin.



















Here's what the final product looked like.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Nick ate two of them, and begged for more.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment