Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Day with Henry

Henry and I had a whole day to ourselves today, and it was lovely. We had some serious bonding time, and some even more serious napping time. I'm not usually a good (or even decent) photographer, but I love this photo I snapped of Henry while I was chatting with him this afternoon.






































I love newborns, because they're so tiny and yet so perfect. For some reason, I didn't take many videos of Nick when he was this tiny. I want to make sure we get plenty of videos of Henry in action. Babies grow and change so fast, and I want to remember him like this. Especially the adorable baby toes.




Greg and Grandma Toni took Nick to the zoo all day, so Henry and I had lots of cuddle time. He is very responsive to touch, and he wants to be against my skin all the time. I've been using my baby sling constantly, because I don't have to put Henry down every time I have to use my hands. Also, he absolutely loves being all snuggled up. After all, this time last week he was squished inside of me. Hard to believe.








































I've been loving my new Nook--it was the perfect gift for someone who has to spend a lot of time sitting in a chair nursing and pumping. One of the first books I bought is called Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain, by David Eagleman. I heard about this book on NPR a few weeks ago, and was pretty sure I'd enjoy it. It's about neuroscience and human behavior, and how the two are linked in so many ways. (I know, I'm all about the light summer reading.) I've been reading a chapter or so every feeding, and I finished it today. This book was a fascinating read, and I loved using the Nook because I can read with only one hand when the other one is, ahem, occupied by holding a tiny little head.


























I found it really cool to think about how much of our behavior is, in many ways, a result of what goes on inside of our brains. I loved his idea of discovering brain exercises to do that might rehabilitate criminals. The author took some very complex stuff and made it understandable. I think I'm going to have to buy more books by this author.



















For being less than a week out from surgery, I feel like I've been pretty productive. I'm being careful, but trying to move around and get things done. Besides hanging out with Henry, I also made some whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread in my bread machine (with baby in the sling), and had a two-hour afternoon nap. We sat out on the screened in porch and took in the fresh air for a few hours. I love this weather--it has been warm but not hot, just perfect weather for having the windows open. Henry took a nap with our cat, Molly this evening. She loves Henry so far, because he can't chase her yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment