Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Married for Five Years!

On Saturday, Greg and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary.





































Making it five years is definitely something to celebrate. I think that making a marriage work is one of the hardest things to do, and yet it is so worth it. The mere fact that we haven't killed one another is amazing. We can even stand one another's company after all this time, so we must be doing something right. Spending time alone, just the two of us, is a great way to reconnect.


Here we are having dinner on 6/8/13 (with a martini flight) at Wildfire




















Five years ago, we were married, and I think we both look so young in this picture.
























We went to Paris on our honeymoon, and I do wish we could swing a real trip like that one again. (Ahh, the pan au chocolate and walking along the Seine. . . ) Every year, though, we've done something nice to celebrate.

1st: 2009 We went to the Sybaris. 'Nuff said.
2nd: 2010 A trip to Downtown Chicago.
3rd: 2011 We drove to Milwaukee and stayed at a B and B.
4th: 2012 We stayed at a lovely resort in Geneva.

This year, we wanted to celebrate with an evening away, and Greg surprised me with a trip to the Lincolnshire Marriott. Our hotel room was comfy and there were no children waking us up or climbing on the furniture, so it was just perfect.




















We stayed overnight in the hotel and then saw a play: "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change." I found it quite hilarious and very appropriate for a couple who has been married for awhile.
























I decided to be nostalgic and I wore my wedding shoes. They still fit, even though I'm a totally different person now, five years and two children later. I guess I could call them my lucky shoes. They even have some grass stains on the heels from getting wedding pictures taken.   :)

They may not be too comfortable for dancing, but I lasted all night in them.



















\After the show, Greg suggested we stop by the bar for a drink. I didn't realize (ahem), that the Blackhawks were playing a game that he wanted to see, and Greg sure didn't mention this to me.


He still won't admit that he had ulterior motives (sports-related) for visiting the bar. 




















I would call that sneaky. I was pretty content sitting while I finished my drink, but then I got bored and a little irritated by the shouting and swearing fans staring at the televisions. Sports are definitely not my thing.



I found ways to entertain myself, though. My husband thought that the paper airplane was a little immature. Not as immature as the screaming and swearing Hawks fans in the bar, however. 




















'

The next morning, we had a yummy brunch at the hotel restaurant.
























I had the best french toast with whipped cream and strawberries, and a goat cheese omelet. It was one of the best breakfasts I can remember.




















We worked off our huge breakfast at the hotel pool, which was bathwater warm--just how I like it.


I believe I actually fell asleep floating in the water like that. 



































After checkout, we walked along the trail behind the resort, enjoying the peace and quiet.




Our anniversary trip concluded with lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, which was very, very yummy. I think all that swimming and walking negated any calories we ate, though. Good thing, too, because there was plenty of caloric indulgence going on last weekend. It was a very relaxing trip, and a cool way to commemorate five years together.

We realize how many calories this piece of cheesecake is, and we're eating it anyway.


















No comments:

Post a Comment