Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner


After a long day of playing, running, dancing, and swinging. . .

Nick gets a little hungry. Last week, I was inspired to make a special breakfast for our dinner. Greg has been watching a ton of Food Network, and after watching the cooks make scrambled eggs, I decided I was in the mood to try my own recipe. Plus, I forgot to defrost any meat or fish.

What you see on the plate is a dinner in three parts. First, a spinach salad with oranges, strawberries, and goat cheese. Then, a lemon blueberry cinnamon bran muffin. Finally, there are scrambled eggs with spinach, peppers, and a generous amount of goat cheese. Because in this world, you can never have too much goat cheese.


















The muffins are a recipe from Rick Gallop's "Living the GI Diet." I've been trying (not very hard, but trying nonetheless) to incorporate more foods that are GI friendly. GI stands for Glycemic Index, and this diet was recommended to me by my doctor since I have trouble with insulin resistance and post-prandial hypoglycemia. The idea with this program is to balance good carbs and proteins, to eat lots of fiber from good carbs, and to avoid white flour, sugar, and too much fat. I try to stick to white whole wheat flour, and I add things like flax seed and wheat germ to recipes all the time. Nick and Greg don't even notice.

Anyway, I'm going to share with you the way I've been making my scrambled eggs. I think this is my favorite way ever to have eggs. It's also quicker and easier than making an omelet.

Goat Cheese Omelet with Spinach and Bell Pepper

1. Dice most of a bell pepper (orange or red) and place in the frying pan (on medium heat) with a tablespoon of olive oil, a few sprigs of fresh thyme, and a big bhandful of spinach, torn into small pieces. Heat until the peppers are mostly cooked. Put the vegetables aside.
2. Heat a big frying pan (medium high heat) and place about a tablespoon of unsalted butter on it to melt.
3. Take five or six eggs and beat. I use Costco's organic cage free brown eggs. They really do taste better.
4. Add in two to three tablespoons of whole milk and beat some more.
5. Take the butter from the pan and pour just a bit into the mixture. There should still be enough butter in the pan to coat it. Beat the egg mixture a little more.
6. Pour the eggs into the pan and use a rubber scraper or plastic spatula to scrape the mixture towards the center as it cooks. Keep scraping as the eggs cook.
7. When the eggs are mostly cooked, add in the vegetables and keep scraping and stirring.
8. Add crumbled goat cheese (to taste, I use a ton) and a bit of salt and pepper. Enjoy. Nick sure did.


Actually, looking at these pictures is making me hungry. Perhaps I'll do breakfast for dinner again tonight. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment