Exactly one year ago today I began this blog, with few expectations. I wanted a way to remember my life as a new mom, and I thought a blog would be a good way to keep me accountable. (I kept losing actual paper journals, and I figured that you can't lose the internet! I also wanted a way to share photos and updates with my family. Exactly one year and 204 entries later, I figure I haven’t done too badly. My subject matter might always be enthralling, because I write about things like what my cats are doing, what vegetables my son flung at my head, and what I made for dinner, but I definitely have a record of my life.
I don’t know if my writing has improved at all as a result of writing for an audience, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten any worse. I’m just proud of myself for actually sticking to it. Some months I wrote more than others, but I managed to write a few times a week for a whole year. I feel that blogging has been a good outlet for me—a way to express myself and tell my story, my way.
Goals for my second year of blogging:
1. Organization. I like when I read other blogs and there are topics that go by the day. I’ve always done Wordless Wednesdays, but I think I can take this further. For example, I might write a book review every Tuesday, and share a recipe each Monday. Any ideas? Share them with me in the comments section.
2. Food. Speaking of recipes, I’d love to get more of mine up to share. I really do love to cook, and documenting some of my favorite recipes might help me to remember them. It also forces me to measure, at least somewhat.
3. Teaching. I’d like to share a little more of what I do at work with my students. Perhaps I can share some teaching tips and lessons.
4. More videos of Nick. When I look back at the blog entries I did in the past, some of my favorite ones are when I included short video clips. My favorite is the one where Nick was scooting backwards on his butt. I want to make sure I post more of those videos to track his development.
5. Guest posts. I’ll have to ask some of my family members and friends if they’ll do a guest post for me, just to highlight different points of view. Anyone want to volunteer?
Thanks for reading! I've had a great year, and it's been so much fun sharing my life with you. Here's to another year of blogging. : )