Thursday, January 28, 2010

A good book on a cold, cold night

It never ceases to amaze me how much Nick likes to hear stories. Tonight he sat for six stories in a row. Each time we finished one, he would go and bring me another. Some of his favorites are "Waddle," by Rufus Butler Seder, "Yum Tummy Tickly," by Karen Baiker, and two touchy-feely alphabet books. On a cold night like tonight, it felt great to curl up with my little boy and just read stories. I could practically read them in my sleep by now.
Even though Nicholas is my first child, I worked in daycare centers while in high school and college, so I have quite a bit of experience with infants and toddlers. I seem to recall that it was unusual for them to sit for an entire story, let alone six in a row. Heck, even the kindergarteners I work with now only last two stories or so before they need to run around. Not that Nick always sits for stories. But at least once a day, he'll bring me a book and want me to read to him. Then, he will look at the books once we're done, turning the pages and pointing to the pictures while he mutters to himself. I'm seeing this as a good sign; books are a huge part of his life. He seems very interested in books, for a fourteen-month-old. But perhaps I'm just being a doting momma. Or maybe I remember incorrectly about how long toddlers will sit.

No comments:

Post a Comment